Thursday, September 18, 2008

Helen returns to the National Theatre in Phaedra

Helen Mirren will return to the stage next summer to star in a new National Theatre production of Phaedra, directed by NT artistic director Nicholas Hytner. The production, which will co-star Margaret Tyzack, is slated to open in the NT Lyttelton in June 2009.

It will be Mirren’s first stage appearance since winning the Best Actress Oscar for the 2006 film The Queen and her first in six years, having last trod the boards – also at the National – in Howard Davies’ 2003 production of Eugene O’Neill’s Mourning Becomes Electra.

Mirren takes the title role in Jean Racine’s 1677 classic tragedy, in a version by Ted Hughes, based on a Greek myth about a queen who falls passionately in love with her stepson in her husband’s absence. She follows in the footsteps of other famous Phaedras including Glenda Jackson, Diana Rigg and, most recently at the Donmar Warehouse in 2006, Clare Higgins.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

FINALLY!!!!!!
It will be an unforgetable emotional experience,for sure!!!

Anonymous said...

Be warned Helen! So far their are over 37 Helen Mirren supporters coming from all over the globe to see you in June at the National Theatre to perform in Phaedra in London 2009. And its only October2008.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God!I want to go the theatre to see Helen Mirren.I would like to see her, because I love her. But I live in Spain.I hope that I can buy my ticket by internet so I hope that I can go to London next summer.

Bel.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD! THIS MORNING I´VE BOUGHT MY TICKET TO SEE TO HELEN MIRREN IN AUGUST IN THE THEATRE. I DON´T BELIEVE IT, I´M VERY HAPPY.

BEL.

Anonymous said...

Are there any special deals for the fan group?And, is it in June or August?